It’s 2021 and there’s no denying that we’re in a seller’s market. You may have heard from friends, family, and the media about how fast homes are selling, and as a homeowner, it sounds quite enticing. If you’re looking to take advantage of today’s market, make sure to follow CENTURY 21 Award’s five essential tips for prepping your home for sale.
1. Declutter. Take down personal photos, remove excessive furniture, remove blinds, screens, large furniture, etc. Too much furniture not only shrinks rooms but also distracts buyers from seeing the selling features of your home. Clean off countertops and bar surfaces. Remove the extra leaf from the dining room table. Consider putting a twin or a full bed where a king was.
Top Producing Agent, Stacy Feltman can’t stress enough the importance of decluttering and says “You want a buyer to not only see the floor plan but the upgrades within the home. It doesn’t give a clean impression when the house is cluttered. People can’t see past it and it ultimately affect's their decision.”
2. Curb Appeal. Make the property look inviting to all buyers. The curb appeal will not only help buyers once they arrive, but numerous buyers never request a showing because the exterior front looks “uninviting”. Appeal to the emotional side of the sale with a clean, colorful, and professional entry.
Top Producing Agent, Steve Ploetz says “You only get one chance to make a first impression. In a society that is tremendously judgmental, don’t let your house be judged by your unique taste."
3. Don’t “Pigeon-Hole” Your Buyer. Don’t set up the house to appeal to only one type of buyer. Just because you have two dogs doesn’t mean the buyer who buys your house will be a family with dogs. If you only show it as a family for dogs, then it eliminates the other demographics.
Top Producing Agent, Veronica Vasquez says “It’s important to get your home ready for the next buyer. The goal is to have any buyer that walks in be able to envision themselves living there."
4. Price it right. Yes, pricing it right is still relevant in today’s market. If you do everything right but price it incorrectly, it won’t sell. Look at sales within the last 4 weeks of similar size, age, lot size, etc. Check your competition (other houses for sale) and weigh the pros and cons of your home versus theirs.
Top Producing Agent, Melody Setoodeh says “By utilizing a pricing strategy that is slightly below market, you are garnering exposure of your home to a broader range of buyers."
5. Interview the Right Professional. Just because it’s a seller’s market, doesn’t mean your guaranteed anything. You need someone who can inform you of what to expect during this process and will communicate with you several times a week. That’s why we recommend interviewing more than one agent. The agent you choose should work with a strong company that is powered by a great legal team and a great marketing team as well.
Top Producing Agent, Todd Romano says “When you compare, you win."
If you’re thinking about selling your home, we recommend you take a look at the relentless real estate agents of CENTURY 21 Award. Our agents cover San Diego County, Orange County, Riverside County, and more! Take a look at our agents by clicking here!